Mai Chau Vietnam Travel Guides – What is beautiful in Mai Chau?
Where is Mai Chau?
Lac Village and Pom Coong Village are cultural tourism destinations located in Mai Chau, Hoa Binh province, NorthWest Vietnam. Although Mai Chau is not as famous as Sapa or Moc Chau, it is very attractive to domestic and international tourists who want to explore the cultural life of ethnic people here.
Best time to Mai Chau?
You can travel to Mai Chau any time of the year. However, March to April or October to December is the most suitable time to explore Mai Chau.
March – April: The season when orchid tree flowers blossom with its white colour covering the whole region. At this time, you can not only enjoy the fresh air, cool and pleasant weather, but also take beautiful pictures.
September – October: “Golden season” in Mai Chau. If you want to admire the golden rice terraced fields without going too far away from Hanoi, Mai Chau is an ideal destination.
November – February: It is the Winter so the weather is cold; it is also the season of Peach flower and Plum blossom in Mai Chau.
What to do in Mai Chau?
Mai Chau is located in a small valley under Thung Khe Pass, it is home to many villages of Thai people. Some activities you can participate in when visiting Mai Chau:
Trekking or Cycling around villages: Lac village, Pom Coong village, Van village, Nhat village (the major villages).
Visiting Chieu cave, Mo Luong cave.
In the evening, visitor can hire dancers of the village. They will perform Xoe Dance, Mong Dance and Thai traditional folk songs.
Travelling further by motorbike: going along the old national highway 6 to Song Da lake, the scenery is very beautiful.
From Mai Chau, you can drive motorbike to Pu Luong National Reserve.
How to travel from Hanoi to Mai Chau?
There are two options. You can travel from Hanoi to Mai Chau by long-distance bus and motorbike. When arriving in Mai Chau, it is recommended to go by bicycle or by foot to explore the life of people here.
Long-distance bus: From Hanoi, you can take Mai Chau bus from My Dinh or Yen Nghia bus station, ticket price ranges from USD3.5 to USD4.
Ha Noi – Mai Chau bus brands operating on My Dinh – Mai Chau – My Dinh route:
Ha Loan Bus:
– Departure time at My Dinh bus station:
7.50am – to Mai Chau: 11.30am.
2pm – to Mai Chau: 3.30pm.
– Departure time at Mai Chau bus station:
8am – to Hanoi: 11.30am.
1.30pm – to Hanoi: 5pm
– Tel: 098 271 2418/091 2490 679
Cuong Coi bus
– Departture time in My Dinh bus station: 6.30am
– Departure time in Mai Chau bus station: 11.30am
– Tel: 091 279 6896
K Linh bus
– Departure time in Mai Chau bus station: 6.50am
– Departure time in My Dinh bus station: 1.30pm
– Tel: 098 7851 858
Tuan Dung bus
– Departure time in Mai Chau bus station: 7.50am
– Departure time in My Dinh bus station: 2pm
– Tel: 096 280 0074
Hoang Thao bus
– Departure time in Mai Chau bus station: 8.30am
– Departure time in My Dinh bus station: 2.30pm
– Tel: 0914 688 533
Ha Noi – Mai Chau bus brands operating on Yen Nghia – Mai Chau – Yen Nghia route:
Vinh Trong bus:
– Departure time in Mai Chau bus station: 5am
– Departure time in Yen Nghia bus station: 2pm
– Tel: 0986110809
Thu Bang bus (bus 1)
– Departure time in Co Luong bus station: 6am
– Departure time in Yen Nghia bus station: 11am
Thu Bang bus (bus 2)
– Departure time in Co Luong bus station, Mai Chau: 6.30am
– Departure time in Yen Nghia bus station: 1.30pm
– Tel: 0912026549
Yen Binh bus
– Departure time in Co Luong bus station: 6.45am
– Departure time in Yen Nghia bus station: 12am
– Tel: 01655179498
Quang Tinh bus
– Departure time in Co Luong (Mai Chau) bus station: 12am
– Tel: 09894001504
Anh Dung bus
– Departure time in Co Luong bus station: 7.30am
– Departure time in Yen Nghia bus station: 4pm
– Tel: 01667235989
Motorbike: Mai Chau is about 140 kilometres away from Hanoi. If you go by motorbike, you can follow this route: Hanoi – Xuan Mai – Luong Son – Hoa Binh – Muong Khen – Mai Chau along National Highway 6.
Travelling in Mai Chau: Mai Chau Town is quite small, you can rent a bicycle to explore the village or go trekking for more exciting experiences.
Homestays in Mai Chau:
If it is the first time, you go to Mai Chau, there is no need to worry about accommodation. Many villages in Mai Chau offers homestay services. You do not need to contact in advance for reservations. There are 3 villages offering tourism services so there are a lot of accommodations. The price is VND50,000 per person per night. And you can also eat at homestay.