Diep Son Island – “The Road On The Beach”
Where is Diep Son island?
Diep Son island consisting of 3 small islets is located in Van Phong bay, Khanh Hoa province. This is an emerging tourist destination near Nha Trang, which is famous for beautiful paths amidst the sea.
Best time to visit Diep Son island
You can visit Diep Son island all months of the year but it is recommended to avoid the stormy months from September to October.
How to get to Diep Son island
In order to travel to Diep Son island, you have to come to Nha Trang first. Depending on your budget and time, you should choose a suitable vehicle.
When travelling by air, you will land at Cam Ranh airport. From Cam Ranh airport. Some international airlines offering round-trip flight to Nha Trang include: Korean Air, Air France, Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar Singapore, Moscow, Incheon, Fukuoka, Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo Haneda, Tokyo Narita.
Flights from Hanoi and HCMC to Nha Trang
– From HCMC: ticket price ranges from VND800,000++ per person per flight, flight time is 50 minutes.
– From Hanoi: ticket price ranges from VND1,500,000++ per person per flight, flight time is 1 hour 50 minutes.
It is about 60 kilometres from Nha Trang to Van Gia, Van Ninh. There is a bus route from Nha Trang to Van Gia, departing at 86 Tran Phu. From Van Gia port, there are boats to Diep Son, departing every 2 hours, VND50,000 per turn. Or you can take boat of fishermen, it is cheaper but often leave early in the morning. Or you can travel by canoe at VND100,000 per person. If you travel by motorbike or car to Van Gia, park your car at an overnight parking lot in a wide alley opposite Van Gia port.
Special features of Diep Son island
When arriving, you can get into a boat and begin to explore the 700-metre trail amidst the sea. This unique and interesting sea path connects the small island to the bigger Diep Son island. The winding road is about 2 metres wide and under the sea level
Walking on this path would bring you a sense of excitement, nervousness and a little fear when you have to walk into the vast ocean. You can watch the school of small fish swimming on the two sides of the trail, or admire the fishing boats from distance.
Diep Son Island has about 80 households, they make a living by fishing. In the evening, every family only can use electric generator in 3 hours for daily living activities.
Diep Son is a new island to many people, this place still retains its pristine beauty, the blue colour of the sea and people here are very friendly and hospitable.
Tips when traveling to Diep Son island
– Because Diep Son Island is still pristine and undeveloped, there are no hotels or guest houses so you should bring your own tents and try camping on the beach.
– On the island, there are not much food and drink, so you have to prepare it yourself. There are only one or two places selling water and groceries.
– You only can use electricity on the island from 6pm to 9 pm. You should also pay for the local people, if you use their electricity.
– On the island, it is very secure and safe, so do not worry much about theft. Of course we still need to protect the furniture.
– There is a chicken farm on the island, you can chicken here to cook.
– Island is very clean without industrial waste, so people should not litter to protect the environment.
Things not to do on the island
– Do not give kids money, give them candy instead.
– Do not litter.
– Do not ask the local people for help too much, because they are enthusiastic but their lives are still very difficult.
– Do not make noise, disorder, affecting people.